Menter Iaith Sir Caerffili aims to promote and increase the use of the Welsh language on a community level within Caerphilly County Borough, by ensuring that the language becomes a central part of life within the county and that communities share the responsibility for its future and development.
Menter Sir Caerffili was established in December 1999 with the aim of promoting and increasing the use of the Welsh language in Caerphilly County Borough by creating opportunities and services for local residents to use the language within their local communities. Menter Iaith Sir Caerffili is a registered charity (1105172) and a Company Limited by Guarantee (5096968).
Menter Iaith Sir Caerffili is active in the following fields:
• Out of school childcare schemes before school, after school, during the school holidays and wraparound schemes through the medium of Welsh.
• Various workshops and activities for children during the school holidays.
• Weekly, weekend opportunities and during the school holidays for young people to take part in Welsh medium opportunities.
• Social activities for Welsh learners such as coffee morning, Saturday chats and reading clubs.
• Social activities for families.
• Weekly and one-day adult education workshops through the medium of Welsh.
• Ffiliffest – Welsh medium Summer Festival
• Annual Christmas Fair
• Co-ordinate the Welsh Language Forum for Caerffili
• Provide a health advice and information service for children and young people through the medium of Welsh.
• Support and encourage childcare providers to increase their use of Welsh language.
• Central contact for various forums within the voluntary, private and public sector for the Welsh language.
We provide our services through working in partnership with a number of Welsh medium organisations in addition to other partners including Caerphilly County Borough Council, Urdd Gobaith Cymru, Mudiad Meithrin, Gwent Welsh for Adults Centre, Merched y Wawr, CADW, local schools and colleges, local businesses and others.
Menter Iaith Sir Caerffili’s principal partners are the Welsh Language Unit within the Welsh Government and Caerphilly C.B.Council who are responsible for funding a number of our services.
Management Board Members
Menter Iaith Sir Caerffili ‘s Management Board meets on a monthly basis to discuss development and financial reports.
Company Directors and Charity Trustees:
David Thomas – Chairman
Anwen Cullinane – Co-opted member
Gareth James – Treasurer
Company secretary: Lowri Jones